Fix Our Oil Nigeria campaign
- 1 video
- 1 website
- 1 public debate
- 2 manuals
- 2 workshops
- 5 NNPC reports analysed
- 15 Tweet-meets
- 100, 000 literate individuals reached via social media and public discussions.
THE PROJECT: For over 40 years, the Oil and Gas industry has been the main source of revenue for Nigeria’s economy, providing about 75% of the country’s budgetary income, yet very few Nigerian understand the workings of the sector - to the detriment of the economy and by extension all Nigerians. Our country’s fixation on oil, and the volatility associated with oil revenues therefore necessitates the #FixOurOil campaign.
- So far, over 400,000 unique Nigerians have been enlightened on the workings of the sector.
- BudgIT has been able to engage the heads of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in a presentation on how Civil Society and the government can work together in improving Nigeria’s extractives industries.
- Every month, since the NNPC commenced the release of operational reports to the public, our creatives have converted these into easy-to-understand infographics for increased engagement with the public.
- This led to an invitation to make a formal presentation to the management of the NNPC, led by the Minister of State for Petroleum and Group Managing Director of NNPC, Ibe Kachikwu during a roundtable with CSOs at the NNPC HQ. BudgIT has also made presentations to the NNPC on extractive sector engagement.
- We collaborated with the Nigerian Extractives Transparency Initiative (NEITI) to simplify the organisation’s 2012-2014 Oil and Gas Audit report. The NEITI projects was necessitated by the pressing need for a wider dissemination of audit findings, to push the public to comprehend, and join environmental remediation campaigns. BudgIT partnered with NEITI to develop communication and engagement strategies for the publicising and implementation of its audit recommendations. Our duties included the simplification of the the 2007 Fiscal Allocation and Statutory Disbursement Audit, which constitutes a major part of NEITI’s communication portfolio.
- We have also assisted with the routine conversion of sections of otherNEITI reports, in order to encourage local and international awareness in activities within the Oil industry.
- BudgIT created a video to show the relation between inefficiency in the oil Industry and underdevelopment in Nigeria, garnering over 3,000 views. Publications have also been printed and circulated to show the impact of individual and collective ignorance of the workings of the oil industry on the economy of the country and the wellbeing of the people, with positive reviews and feedback recorded.